Who is Mary Lou Retton?
American gymnast Mary Lou Retton Kelley, a former competitor. She became one of the most well-liked athletes in the US as a result of her success. She goes by the name Mary Lou Retton in the workplace.
Mary was the first American woman to ever win the Olympic gold medal in all-around gymnastics, and she remained the only one to do so for 20 years. She also made history by winning the individual all-around gold as the first female gymnast from a region other than Eastern Europe. Mary was selected “Sportswoman of the Year” by Sports Illustrated Magazine. She served as Wheaties’ first official spokesperson after being featured on the cereal’s packaging.
Relationship Details, Mary Lou Retton is Married?
Retton has been married. Shannon Kelley, a current employee of the sports department at Houston Baptist University and a former quarterback for the University of Texas, was her previous husband. (wordingvibes.com) The couple’s four children were born in 1995, 1997, 2000, and 2002, respectively, and are named Shayla, McKenna, Skyla, and Emma. However, the pair separated in February 2018.
Quick facts about Mary Lou Retton
|Mary Lou Retton
|54 years old.
|Mary Lou Retton Kelley
|Place Of Birth
|Fairmont, West Virginia
|Best Known For
|1984 Summer Olympics
|Fairmont Senior High School
Mary Lou Retton: Early Life, Age, Wiki, Parents, Ethnicity
On January 24, 1968, Mary Lou Retton was born in Fairmont, West Virginia. She has Italian ancestry. Mary was conceived by Lois and Ronnie Retton. She has American citizenship. Her sister is older. She has cited The Bible as her favorite book and is a devoted Christian.
Education, Schooling, University
She was a student at Fairmont Senior High. She participated in the Olympics in 1984 while a sophomore in high school in Los Angeles, California. Her upbringing was a Christian one. She attends Second Baptist Church in Houston with her family.
Professional Career, (Athlete)
- She won both the American Cup and Chunichi Cup in 1983.
- She won the American Classic in 1983 and 1984.
- Mary defeated Szabo for the all-around gold medal by 0.05 points, making history as the first American to do it.
- She achieved her third and last American Cup all-around victory in 1985.
- She retired in 1986.
- Mary received her induction into the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in 1992.
- She was honored by being admitted to the International Gymnastics Hall of Fame in 1997.
- In the US, she was a vocal supporter of the Reagan Administration.
- On the second night of the 2004 Republican National Convention, she led Kerri Strug, a fellow former gymnast and 1996 Olympic gold winner, in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
- She was a spokesman for the Revco chain of US pharmacies.
Appearances on TV
- She was the host of the “Mary Lou Retton Funfit” physical fitness segment for five minutes in 1985.
- She had a role in “Scrooged” in 1988.
- Mary appeared in “Knots Landing” in 1992.
- She made an appearance in the 1993 season of Bay Watch.
- She made an appearance in “Mary Lou’s Flip Fop Shop” in 2002.
- Mary made a brief cameo in the 2014 RadioShack Super Bowl XLVII advertisement titled “The ’80s Called.”
- She participated in the 27th season of “Dancing with the Stars” in 2018 as a contestant.
Net Worth, Salary, Assets
The former professional American gymnast has about $8 million net worth.
Rumors and Controversy
After being eliminated from “Dancing with the Star,” Mary Lou Retton has a major meltdown. She felt that considering what she was going through, she ought to have given her more credit. But the judges claim that she was the contender who was weakest.
What is the Height of Mary Lou Retton? Weight, Full Body Stats
Retton stands 1.45 meters tall and weighs 42 kilograms. Her dark brown eyes and hair both have that same hue. She has an athletic body type. She has a balanced and healthy body overall.
Social Media Accounts
Mary Lou Retton is not active on any social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, or Snapchat.